Sunday, June 2, 2013

Iguaçu Falls: My Playground

Have you ever had one of those days where it goes from terrible to perfect in a snap of the fingers? Well that is the best way to describe Friday. We were very excited because Zalmir set up a day for us at the Brazilian National Park (where the falls are) but with the veterinarian/wildlife biologist, Apollonio, who specializes in jaguars but works on all the wild animals in the park when necessary. So we woke up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and set out for the park. When we got there we asked for Apollonio, everyone was very confused because we are a group of young Americans who don't understand anything anyone says and they don't understand us either. Eventually after about 45 minutes of waiting in a freezing room, where I felt like I was trapped in a holding room at an airport for suspicious behavior, finally someone from Apollonio's office came to get us. She said he didn't know we were coming and that he couldn't meet with us. Oh great. It turns out, she felt really bad for us. We might as well have "pathetic foreigners" stamped on our foreheads. 

Apparently that stamp isn't so awful to have associated with yourself. This was the day that Iguaću Falls became my playground. We were allowed to do whatever we wanted, for free. Well actually, at first she asked if we would like to hike and bike, but the day before I had seen a sign for zip-lining and repelling and I was too interested to resist. So I smiled and asked if we could possibly do that too? She said she would see what she could do and let us know. 

The morning began with a 2 hour "mountain" (or "jungle") biking to get to the Paraná River (the river of the falls). Once we got there we went on a safari boat ride and saw alligators, turtles and tropical birds of all kinds. The boat took us to an area with kayaks and we got to kayak up and down the river, it was quite a work out on such a strong river. Rica used to do outrigger canoeing and I think she was ready to kill me because I was clearly a failure at the whole steering concept. After that, we went to the canyons overlooking the falls. 
 (The kayaks on the giant river)

Here is where the outdoors course existed and we received a free pass. Ropes course in the jungle canopy, zip line, cat jump, rock climbing, repelling and rafting. We started with the ropes course and it was terrifying and incredible at the same time. Walking along rolling logs at 11 meters above ground only attached to a harness definitely gets your blood pumping. After you survived the endless obstacles, you made it back to the start on a zip line; one of my favorite things. However, I found a new favorite thing; the cat jump. This was insane. You climb up a pole, 40ft high, and somehow stand at the top of it on a 2 foot stand. Then you leap. You have to leap 7 feet to a hanging/swinging bar and grab on tight. Did I mention the platform only gave you room to bend your knees, no steps allowed. Rica went first, it took her a while once she got up top but finally mustered up courage and leapt. She missed. But she was so close! I was next and thought, the quicker the better; less time to think. And somehow, I actually grabbed it and held on! I have never been so proud of myself! It was so fun and every one else eventually got it too (2 attempts were allowed). The day ended with some rock climbing and repelling. We opted out of the rafting due to time constraints, but it was still a perfect day.
 (One of the several "free" passes were blessed to have received. By the way, that structure to the right is where you repelled off.)
 (Goodbye falls)

We walked, hiked, swam, rowed, climbed and worked about every muscle on our bodies. We returned to the hostel on a high. Such a great goodbye to one of the best 2 weeks of my life. I will miss the friends I made and replay the memories over and over. Time for the next chapter, Curitiba where work starts on Monday at the Veterinary University. They have heavy boots to fill, but I'm excited to see them try!

No comments:

Post a Comment